Subject: Re: Student pricing???
From: David Barchas <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 13:46:31 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:

>  Again with the Student thing! NewTek offers a package to the schools
>  directly not to the students. They raised the price, the upgrade is
<CUT>
> The student
> can use LW at the school, if their school does not support LW then they
> don't need it for courses.

this I guess I do agree with, in principle, but when it takes 1-2 years for a 
new program to be incorporated into the degree at that school, I don't.

---->Anoying lecture deleted

First off I am not the one who is interested, I am asking for a couple of 
friends of mine at school.  I make money using lightwave so I would not be 
qualitfied for the Student version anyway.

Second, 3dsmax is 3000, but it is going to be offered to students for 
somewhere between 700 - 1500.  Even at 1500 hundred that is a great break for 
students and great promotion of the future of the company.

Third, I did not want to get into some infantile pissing match over the whiny 
student issue, I just asked a question and would hope for an informative 
answer, not some snide remarks.

(Kiss and make up part)
I understand your point about who makes up the price difference, and I do 
agree that NT should be making a lot more money on this kick ass product of 
theirs, but it gets me a little PO'd when student breaks are percieved as an 
annoyance from which the profit losses have to be recouped on the full price 
users.  Maybe this time it will be OK to not give the direct student break, 
so as to make up some cash, but next version should.

Kill the thread before it starts, I should have been more exact in my first 
post.

I still would like to get an answer though just to humor myself, preferably 
from the horse's mouth.

Dave Barchas